It’s very unlikely that your cat will break into your sweets cabinet and devour all the chocolate you stashed there for special occasions like a dog would. And since we all know how bad chocolate is for dogs, what about cats? Can cats eat chocolate without having any side effects?
If chocolate doesn’t appeal to cats as much as it appeals to dogs, that doesn’t mean that they won’t get a taste for it every now and then. So let’s find out if eating chocolate is safe for cats.
Can Cats Eat Chocolate
The straight short answer is no. Chocolate is as bad for cats as it is for dogs. Most pet owners know it’s only bad for dogs, because dogs have a sweet tooth for almost anything. They’ll gobble everything before you even have time to figure out what’s happening.
Why Is Chocolate Dangerous For Cats
Every chocolate bar, chocolate drink, cake or cookie contains cocoa. And cocoa has two ingredients which are dangerous for cats and dogs alike, theobromine and caffeine. Both of these ingredients are metabolized naturally by the human body, but unfortunately for our furry friends, their bodies cannot synthesize them.
Because of that, these substances can build up in the cat’s body, which can further cause diarrhea and vomiting, increased heart rate, liver failure and even death in extreme cases.
Will Cats Eat Chocolate?
In general cats won’t touch chocolate because they lack the receptor for sweet things, therefore, they won’t develop a thing for chocolate, cakes or any other sweet substances.
But you never know with milk and chocolate drinks. That might be appealing enough for them to try, and it’s risky business.
While it’s very unlikely to find your cat stealing chocolate, you should still try to keep it out of reach, as it doesn’t take a big quantity for your little furry friend to have troubles. Chocolate poisoning depends on many variables like your pet size, weight and age, and the type of chocolate they’ve put their paws on. Dark chocolate contains more theobromine than milk chocolate, so you should be aware of that too.
If by any chance your cat has eaten chocolate, you should watch for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, increased heart rate and accelerated breathing, seizures and muscle rigidity.
The next step is to contact your vet as soon as possible. If the cat’s taken to the vet early enough, he can induce vomiting in order to get rid of the toxic substance from your cat’s body with little to no complications or need for other treatments.
So giving chocolate to cats as a treat is not a good idea. Even if they don’t usually go for it, if they ingest a little piece, it may cause them unwanted troubles. If you do want to treat your cat with something good for them, go for special cat treats. Your furry friend will be delighted.