Last Updated on
For pet owners, having a cat water fountain is important as it ensures your cat’s health and well-being is taken care of. With a water fountain, your cat will find it easier to drink more water hence stay hydrated. This helps to lower the risk of urinary tract infections and kidney diseases that cats are prone to. All these come with an added benefit of ensuring more convenience for cat owners as they do not need to refill water dishes on a daily basis.
When shopping for the best cat water fountain, you need to consider a couple of factors to ensure you buy the right one for your cat.
To help you choose the best water fountain for cat, we have compiled several things you need to consider.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Water Fountain for Your Cat
The first thing you should consider when buying pet appliances is their safety, and a water fountain is no exception. You should stick to stainless steel, ceramic, and plastics cat fountains because they are safer compared to fountains made from other materials.
If you choose a plastic cat fountain, ensure that it is BPA-free and also free of toxins. Most plastics have dangerous toxins that can cause long-term problems to your precious pets.
Ease of use and maintenance
The aim of buying a cat water fountain is to encourage your cat to drink more water and also make your life easier. Therefore, you need to go for a model that is easy to use and maintain. However, know that there is no such model as ‘maintenance-free water fountain’- all of them have to be cleaned after some time.
Speaking of cleaning, go for a cat water fountain that is dishwasher-safe. This way, cleaning work will be easier. Also, you can consider going for dark-colored models since light-colored models show dirt easily. In addition to this, go for a model that is easy to disassemble and reassemble.
Most water fountains for cats will last for some time as long as they are well maintained. If you are looking for longevity, go for fountains made from stainless steel as they do not rust.
Another key thing to consider in your cat fountain is the filtration feature. Most fountains come with charcoal filters to remove heavy metals, pesticides, parasites, and common impurities in cat’s drinking water.
Some also have a filter designed to remove pet dander from the water. This can be an important feature, especially if you have several cats as pet dander can quickly accumulate and clog up the fountain.
Design and appearance
In terms of design, cat’s water fountains can have a single-tier system or a double-tier system. If you have older cats or kittens, you will need to go for a double-tier system to cater for both. A double tier system has one tier that has a low height hence kittens will drink from it comfortably.
Size and height of the fountain
Cat fountains come in different sizes and heights. However, your main concern should be on the size of the tank. If you are not always in the house, you should buy a model that has a sizeable water tank. A model with a small water tank will need to be refilled frequently.
Regarding height, different cats have varying preferences. Some cats prefer bending to drink water while others are comfortable drinking while on elevated posture. If you have kittens or cats suffering from diseases such as arthritis, go for a fountain with a mid-level height. If you are not sure of the best cat fountain height, go for a multi-level fountain.
The best cat water fountain should not make noise when operating. The motor or pump should work silently. To reduce noise, some fountains have a submersible motor. Water flowing through the fountain should also not make loud splashing noises. To maintain quietness, keep your fountain filled with water.
The best cat drinking fountain should offer different water flow systems including bubbling, free-flowing streams, etc. It should also offer the option to adjust the flow to your desired rate so that you can set it at a pace that your cat will find suitable.
Now that you are aware of the things you will need to look into so as to buy the most suitable cat water fountain, we have reviewed top-rated cat water fountains in 2018 to make your work easier.
Catit Flower Fountain
This is designed like a lily in a pond and offers an interesting water dispenser for your feline friend. With 3 flow settings, you can easily customize the rate of water flow and ensure your beloved feline gets encouraged to lick the flowing water.
The pump might be small, but this makes it energy efficient. This fountain comes with a filter that has dual action water softening feature that helps filter common water impurities including harsh minerals.
Main Features of Catit Flower Fountain
- This fountain is made with safe plastic that is BPA-free. It feels solid, and thus you can expect a stable water fountain that cannot be rolled over
- It has a lily-like flower at the center which makes it have a bubbled flow
- Has dual-action filtration system to filter and soften hard water
- Comes with an attractive design that encourages your cat to drink more water
- Has a compact, energy-efficient water pump
Pros of Catit Flower Fountain
- Its recirculating mechanism keeps water well-oxygenated
- Ensures your cat drinks safer, fresher, and cleaner water
- Has an adjustable water flow feature for more customization
- Water softening filter de-mineralizes cat’s drinking water
- It is relatively cheap
- Its compact design ensures it doesn’t take too much space
Cons of Catit Flower Fountain
- This model may not suit a household with multiple cats
- Its water pump may not last for many years
This is one of the best water fountains for cats on the market. It has virtually all the features you might be looking for in a cat water fountain. And besides, it comes at a pocket-friendly price.
MOSPRO Flower Fountain
MOSPRO is a relatively new brand in the cat fountain market and is already receiving some great reviews. One of the noticeable features of this water fountain is how quiet it is. It is one of the quietest pet water fountains you will see. In addition, it offers three water flow settings including standard flower waterfall, a ‘gentle fountain’ mode flow, and flower bubble mode to give your furry friend options.
Coming at an affordable price, this lightweight plastic fountain comes with two spare filters. For people who don’t mind going with big brands, this newcomer will definitely be a great buy.
Main Features of MOSPRO Flower Fountain
- It offers a large capacity, and thus you will not need to refill water frequently
- It has environmentally friendly materials made of an antiseptic resin material
- It has a quick release design that ensures easy cleaning and removal
- Features a silent pump that keeps it running quietly
- Features water flow settings including flower waterfall, flower bubble, and fountain mode to ensure optimum oxygenation of water
Pros of MOSPRO Flower Fountain
- It runs quietly and gently
- Offers 3 water flow settings to entice your cat to drink more water
- Has a simple design that is attractive to cats
Cons of MOSPRO Flower Fountain
- It should have been made of stainless steel
The biggest selling points of this fountain are that it is energy-efficient and also has a large reservoir that can keep your cat hydrated for up to a week. This makes it a perfect fountain for people who are mostly far away from home.
PetSafe Stainless Steel Drinkwell Fountain
This water fountain is great for both cats and dogs alike and comes with a creative streaming system that directs water flow in different directions.
This helps create turbulence that is pleasing to the eyes. The evenness of the raging water sparks curiosity in a cat making him want to lick the water more. The stainless steel bowl makes it safer than plastic models.
Main Features of PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain
- Features an exceptionally large tank and thus can keep your cat hydrated for a long time without needing you to refill its reservoir
- The water bowl is constructed of premium stainless steel making it not only durable but also safer for your cat
- Comes with a replaceable carbon filter to remove impurities in your cat’s drinking water
- Features a low-voltage submersible water pump making it quiet and energy efficient
- It is dishwasher-safe
Pros of PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain
- The stainless steel construction enables it to have antimicrobial properties and also makes it easy to clean and maintain
- Splash ramp reduces water noise and splashing to allow your cat to drink its water calmly
- Comes with a fully replaceable filter which ensures safer and cleaner drinking water
- It is energy efficient thanks to its low-voltage water pump
- It is easy to clean and maintain thanks to its simple construction and stainless steel bowl
Cons of PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain
- It requires a relatively larger surface because of its enlarged base
- Calls for frequent maintenance since you have to change the filtration system
- It is relatively pricier as compared to other models in its category
The PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain comes with the signature technology that all PetSafe products have. It has a unique design and is energy efficient.
isYoung Pet Fountain
If you are looking for a pet water fountain that will encourage your cat to drink more water, then isYoung Pet Fountain might be worth a consideration. This unit has a cute design that will make it a great addition to your room. Also, this product will provide your cat with cleaner, better-tasting water that encourages it to stay hydrated throughout the day.
What’s more, this model has a simple design that makes it easier to disassemble and reassemble during cleaning.
In addition, this water fountain for cat has a noise-reducing automatic water dispensing system that cut out noises that could have been made by its motor. This ensures your cat is not bothered by the sounds made by the model and thus can drink water peacefully.
Main Features of isYoung Pet Fountain
- This device offers 3 different methods of streaming water including gentle fountains, flower waterfall, and a combination of both modes. This entices your furry friend to drink plenty of water throughout the day
- What’s more, this model has quick-release parts that make disassembling and reassembling it easier
- It is constructed of a PP resin making it safe for your cat
- It makes no sound when operating thanks to the automatic water dispensing mechanism
Pros of isYoung Pet Fountain
- It comes with a replaceable filter to eliminate common water impurities and odor
- It offers a constant flow of water thereby preventing bacteria growth
- Comes with a 6-feet long power cord meaning that you can fit it virtually anywhere in the house
Cons of isYoung Pet Fountain
- You may need to clean it more frequently than other models because of its design which may encourage settling of debris
This fountain runs quietly and thus is better for people living in apartments. It is one of the better cat fountains in the market.
Cat Mate Pet Fountain
If you are looking for the best pet water fountains for multiple cats, Cat Mate Pet Fountain is an ideal option. It features two-level falls that allow your cats to drink water at their desired levels. This means that two felines can drink from this fountain at the same time.
What’s more, this model comes with a ramp to reduce splashing thereby minimizing mess on your flow. This doesn’t interfere with the flowing stream, and thus your cat can keep drinking clean water without getting splashed with water.
It comes with an isolated water pump system that helps ensure quiet operation. And the best thing with this fountain is that it uses a polymer carbon filter which eliminates most of the impurities in water.
Main Features of Cat Mate Pet Fountain
- Features a built-in isolated pump system that reduces noise
- Has an adjustable water flow system
- It comes with a polymer carbon filter to eliminate impurities in the cat’s drinking water
- Has 3-level drinking levels fitted with an anti-splash ramp
- It is dishwasher safe
Pros of Cat Mate Pet Fountain
- It operates silently thanks to the ramp
- It is reasonably priced
- Offers faster water flow
Cons of Cat Mate Pet Fountain
- The unit gets dirty quickly
If you are looking for the best water fountain for kittens and older cats, this one is an ideal model thanks to its multi-level drinking stations. The best part about it is that it comes with a 3-year warranty ensuring your money is safe.
Selecting the perfect cat water fountain is not an easy task because of many models on the market. However, with this guide, we hope that you will be able to identify the best one for your feline friend. The 5 cat water fountains we have reviewed in this guide are the best in the market, and you will not go wrong by choosing any of them.